Community Health Group is a locally based non-profit health plan that ensures access to high quality, culturally sensitive health care for underserved communities throughout San Diego County. We treat our 300-member, multi-lingual staff like family, encouraging an atmosphere of collaborative teamwork, continuous learning, personal growth, and promotion from within. Recognized as one of the Top Workplaces in San Diego, CHG offers its employees such benefits as tuition reimbursement, a meditation room and yoga classes, a monthly Breakfast With The CEO, and memorable events throughout the year.
We know that by serving our employees well, they, in turn, will better serve our nearly 300,000+ membership. We have been recognized consistently for the excellence and sensitivity of our customer service by members, physicians, vendors, and a full range of health care providers. We are accredited by the National Committee for Quality Assurance and proud of our continuing company-wide Quality Initiatives.
We are currently recruiting for:
Under the general direction of the Payroll Manager, the Payroll Specialist provides ongoing support processing of payroll for 300 plus employees, on bi-weekly frequency.
This role ensures that all stakeholders are kept informed, that the various and different payroll and related processes are administered appropriately; that assigned projects are delivered within scope, schedule, budget and quality, and accuracy levels are consistent with expectations.
Compliance with Regulations:
Works closely with all departments necessary to ensure that the processes, programs and services are accomplished in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with CHG policies and procedures and in compliance with applicable state and federal regulations.
- Perform tasks to establish and maintain employee payroll records
- Performs both pre and post payroll audits
- Complete training on DayForce modules, as indicated on training track
- Ensure that all available training has been completed, as recommended by Payroll Manager and/or Ceridian DayForce
- Assist in creating test scenarios for new releases
- Prepare and process all court-ordered garnishments
- Review payroll reports to ensure accuracy of tax set up and payroll tax withholding
- Input, review, and audit timekeeping and other payroll related records
- Audit payroll deductions (voluntary and involuntary)
- Process advance, termination and other out-of-cycle payments
- Reconcile earnings and deduction totals
- Review output registers and reports and correct out-of-balance conditions
- Compile payroll data for management, auditors, and others
- Document procedures
- Assure that all employees receive timely responses to inquiries, questions, etc.
- Independently coordinate and communicate with all internal groups, hiring managers, and external parties (as required).
- Address and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Take initiative; demonstrate strong decision-making and organizational skills
- Initiate best practices; develop efficiency improvements
- Participate in special projects and other duties as assigned
- Integrity and ethics; maturity and judgment; strong work ethic; confidentiality maintained at all times.
- Effective interface and interaction with other functional areas, including Human Resources/ Benefits/Finance team
- Interpersonal Effectiveness – demonstrates proficiency in personal effectiveness; listens carefully and attentively to messages; maintains objectivity; initiates and actively seeks to understand
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving – demonstrates proficiency level in critically diagnosing issues and developing solutions; looking at the issue or problem from all angles; identifies and separates the causes from the symptoms; develops effective solutions on new problems/situations
- Minimum 2 years advanced business education and/or 5 years’ experience in payroll, accounting
- Completed 5 successful year-end cycles
- Experience in a support role in system implementation (Recent)
- Strong understanding of CA Labor laws and best practice concepts
- Experience with creating internal check list (New hire, Termination, Year-begin, Year-end, QTRLY tax review, etc.)
- Demonstrated proficiency in payroll and HRIS software (Ceridian preferred, SaaS environment),
- Microsoft Office Suite, and other databases
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, high attention to detail, excellent troubleshooting skills, and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to be self-motivated and self-directed and think and act independently while also being team oriented
- Good follow-up skills; the ability to understand and develop the “big picture”; adaptability to process changes; and a strong sense of importance and ownership
- Direct experience with Ceridian DayForce HCM payroll systems is preferred
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, and move) up to 25 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.